Get emails about new stuff.
Be the first to know.

Get emails about new stuff.
Don't worry. I hate spam too.

Inferences Worksheets

Making inferences is a skill with which students often need much practice. If you’ve looked for resources in the same places that I have, you probably haven’t been too happy with what you found.  I believe that the inference worksheets that I’ve created are of a higher quality than the other available resources and, as usual, I’m giving them away for free.  I hope that you’ll appreciate these inference worksheets and that your students may better this valuable reading skills.

In each inference worksheet students are asked to do two things: answer questions where the solutions can only be provided by making logical inferences, and explain how they got their answers.  Having students explain their answers helps to slow them down and cause them think about what they are doing, and open-ended questions make it easier for the teacher to identify when students are copying. These inference worksheets are now also available as ereading worksheets.  If you have a question or need further clarification about any of these problems or worksheets, leave a comment.

Inferences Worksheet 1 – Read the passages and then answer the inferential questions. Explain your answers by referencing details from the text.  I have revised this worksheet to make it friendlier for all readers. Suggested reading level for this text: Grade 4-8
Inferences Worksheet 1 | RTF
Inferences Worksheet 1 | PDF
Inferences Worksheet 1 | Preview
Inferences Worksheet 1 | Answers
Inferences Worksheet 1 | Ereading Worksheet – Online Test

Inferences Worksheet 2 – Read the passages and answer inferential questions. Support answers with evidence from the text. Suggested reading level for this text: Grade 3-7
Inferences Worksheet 2 | RTF
Inferences Worksheet 2 | PDF
Inferences Worksheet 2 | Preview
Inferences Worksheet 2 | Answers
Inferences Worksheet 2 | Ereading Worksheet – Online Reading Test

Inferences Worksheet 3 – Here’s another inference worksheet to give your students that practice that they need. Read the passages, answer the questions, and support your answers with textual evidence.Suggested reading level for this text: Grade 4-8
Inferences Worksheet 3 | RTF
Inferences Worksheet 3 | PDF
Inferences Worksheet 3 | Preview
Inferences Worksheet 3 | Answers
Inferences Worksheet 3 | Ereading Worksheet – Online Test

Inferences Worksheet 4 – Here is another high-quality inference worksheet. Students read the passages, answer the inferential questions, and explain their answer by using text.Suggested reading level for this text: Grade 3-7
Inferences Worksheet 4 | RTF
Inferences Worksheet 4 | PDF
Inferences Worksheet 4 | Preview
Inferences Worksheet 4 | Answers
Inferences Worksheet 4 | Ereading Worksheet – Online Activity

Inferences Worksheet 5 – Why stop when you’re on a roll? Here is another inference worksheet to get those gears grinding. This one has four reading passages and ten problems. Suggested reading level for this text: Grade 3-7
Inferences Worksheet 5 | RTF
Inferences Worksheet 5 | PDF
Inferences Worksheet 5 | Preview
Inferences Worksheet 5 | Answers
Inferences Worksheet 5 | Ereading Worksheet – Online Test

Inferences Worksheet 6 – Many students have difficulty answering inferential questions. This worksheet has ten more practice problems to help students develop this critical reading skill. Suggested reading level for this text: Grade 4-8
Inferences Worksheet 6 RTF
Inferences Worksheet 6 PDF
Preview Inferences Worksheet 6 In Your Web Browser
View Answers

Inferences Worksheet 7 – “More inference worksheets!” your students cheer as you come marching through the door holding this inference worksheet. It looks like all of the others: it is double-sided and has ten problems. But this one is brand new. The joy spreads around the room contagiously. Suggested reading level for this text: Grade 4-8
Inferences Worksheet 7 RTF
Inferences Worksheet 7 PDF
Preview Inferences Worksheet 7 In Your Web Browser
View Answers

Inferences Worksheet 8 – It’s always nice to have choices. And in the spirit of having choices, I present this eighth inference worksheet. This one is also double-sided and contains ten inference questions. Suggested reading level for this text: Grade 3-7
Inferences Worksheet 8 RTF
Inferences Worksheet 8 PDF
Preview Inferences Worksheet 8 In Your Web Browser
View Answers

Inferences Worksheet 9 – What’s better than a ten problem inference worksheet? An eleven problem inference worksheet! That’s right. This worksheet has eleven inference problems. I couldn’t decide on which one to remove, and the passages are short enough that lucky number eleven fits. Suggested reading level for this text: Grade 4-8
Inferences Worksheet 9 RTF
Inferences Worksheet 9 PDF
Preview Inferences Worksheet 9 In Your Web Browser
View Answers

Inferences Worksheet 10 – Are you still looking for inference worksheets? Here is the tenth in a series. Wow, that’s a lot of inferences. I hope this will help students master inferences. Suggested reading level for this text: Grade 3-7
Inferences Worksheet 10 RTF
Inferences Worksheet 10 PDF
Preview Inferences Worksheet 10 In Your Web Browser
View Answers

Common Core State Standards Related to Inferences

CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.R.1 – Read closely to determine what the text says explicitly and to make logical inferences from it; cite specific textual evidence when writing or speaking to support conclusions drawn from the text.

Expand to View All Common Core State Standards Related to Inferences
ELA Standards: Literacy

CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.4.1 -Refer to details and examples in a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.

CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.5.1 -Quote accurately from a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.

CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.6.1 -Cite textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.

CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.7.1 -Cite several pieces of textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.

CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.8.1 -Cite the textual evidence that most strongly supports an analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.

CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.9-10.1 -Cite strong and thorough textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.

CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.11-12.1 – Cite strong and thorough textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text, including determining where the text leaves matters uncertain.

View Source
Common Core Lesson and Unit Plans
Understanding Common Core State Standards

Looking For More Reading Worksheets?
Story Structure Worksheets
Fact and Opinion Worksheets
All Reading Worksheets

Still looking for something? Search here.

289 Comments

1. Julie

/  October 26, 2019

Thank you so much for making these. These will be great for whole group, small group, or independent work.

2. Stacey E Jones

/  October 11, 2019

Thanks so much for this information and clarification! God bless!

3. Richard Hennessy

/  August 26, 2019

Very useful! Thanks for sharing so generously!

4. nandini iyer

/  August 13, 2019

Hey!! thanks so much for posting up these worksheets, it helped my 5th and 6th graders to understand what exactly inferring means and how they can provide the evidence from the extract…kudos!!!!

5. Kirsty

/  June 27, 2019

Exactly what I need to help my son with inference! Thanks so much for making these resources for us 🙂

6. Mrs.Campbell

/  May 10, 2019

These worksheets are a life saver they have taken me through an entire year in a new school. Thank you very much to you and your team because i fail to believe you do this on your own, but if you do I can say I have met superman.

7. Tania Tan

/  May 7, 2019

THese are an excellent resource. Thank you for putting them together.

8. Jo

/  April 29, 2019

Thank you so very much. These are very helpful!!

9. Abeer

/  February 24, 2019

It’s a really helpful site.

10. Enjoli Cowan

/  February 8, 2019

this just saved my life! My 5th graders cannot seem to grasp inferences and these worksheets are phenomenal. I’ll do a few for guided practice and them finish the worksheet with an elbow partner.

11. Maryann

/  February 1, 2019

Is there a powerpoint to teach inferences

12. Bench

/  January 8, 2019

Good evening! Sir. Thank you for sharing these worksheet. I am from the Philippines.

13. Greta

/  January 7, 2019

Thank you so much for sharing these worksheets. The inference sheets are just what I am needing, for students struggling to make inferences. Working with such short texts makes it so much easier when learning this skill. 🙂
    Would it be allowable for me to reformat the material on these sheets into a Google Doc? I am wanting students to use them digitally, but I also want to be able to view the actual written answers, rather than just the grade.

Regards,
    Greta

14. Sir Collin

/  December 5, 2018

Well done, Lad. Thanks to you, the children in my class will thrive in the world of inference. And you Sir, you have saved me hours of work. I raise my glass to you, the Mighty Morton.

Sincerely,

Sir Collin

15. This is awesome! Thanks for making this available.

16. CF

/  October 23, 2018

Thank you so much for posting these passages. I am tutoring high school students reading at fifth grade level. These provide practice making inferences and look age appropriate to my students.

17. Laura

/  September 20, 2018

The answer key supplied for Worksheet #2 #1

• Hello.

Thank you for reporting this error.
      The correct answer key is now provided. Please refresh your browser a few times if it is still not showing. Best wishes!

18. paul

/  May 30, 2018

This really helped me in school and now i get a better greade thanks to this website. thanks for the help.

19. sahar

/  May 14, 2018

it was fun doing this

20. Marta

/  April 29, 2018

Fun commentator introductions to each worksheets and the worksheets are awesome. I love the happy, lighthearted and helpful way of the author, Mr Morton. Thank you for your unselfish, generous support.
    BY the way, I am a Mathematics teacher and I found m,y students are lacking in skills of inferencial ability and these worksheets will help me help them build their comprehension skills. Thank you!

• Thank you for the kind words. I’m happy that I was able to help you a little. Come back some time 😀

21. Sandra

/  October 4, 2017

I love this website. It is very helpful and my students love the worksheets. Best part is…they get it!

22. Cec

/  October 3, 2017

I love these! I’ve been using them to help reteach my 9th graders who are lacking inference skills, and they are perfect.

23. Denise

/  September 27, 2017

Thank you so much for these! I love the scenarios as well. Great for my high school reading intervention kids, too.

24. Lynn

/  September 25, 2017

This inferences worksheets definitely help my children to comprehend better. Thank you so much!

25. Yonela Moopelwa

/  August 8, 2017

Thank you so much for sharing your amazing work. These activities have helped me so much as a teacher and researcher. A huge thank you to the author.

26. Tau

/  May 31, 2017

Thank you for sharing your reading resources

27. Amy

/  April 26, 2017

Hello your worksheets are brilliant. Im actually unsure of the reading levels. My child is 8 and struggles infering when reading. Ate the above worksheets suitable for her age

• Thank you. I suggest you read the worksheets before you using them with students. You are in a better position to answer that question than I. Best wishes!

28. Joanne

/  March 18, 2017

Thank you for producing these work sheets. I’ve been doing a lot of work on inference with my Y5 Class, but have run out of resources. Your sheets have saved me hours and hours of work. Thanks again!

29. Anly

/  March 10, 2017

Thanks a lot for sharing, it was really helpful.

30. Rizagul

/  February 17, 2017

I am so happy I found this website! A huge thank you to the author