Get emails about new stuff.
Be the first to know.

Get emails about new stuff.
Don't worry. I hate spam too.

Inferences Worksheets

Making inferences is a skill with which students often need much practice. If you’ve looked for resources in the same places that I have, you probably haven’t been too happy with what you found.  I believe that the inference worksheets that I’ve created are of a higher quality than the other available resources and, as usual, I’m giving them away for free.  I hope that you’ll appreciate these inference worksheets and that your students may better this valuable reading skills.

In each inference worksheet students are asked to do two things: answer questions where the solutions can only be provided by making logical inferences, and explain how they got their answers.  Having students explain their answers helps to slow them down and cause them think about what they are doing, and open-ended questions make it easier for the teacher to identify when students are copying. These inference worksheets are now also available as ereading worksheets.  If you have a question or need further clarification about any of these problems or worksheets, leave a comment.

Inferences Worksheet 1 – Read the passages and then answer the inferential questions. Explain your answers by referencing details from the text.  I have revised this worksheet to make it friendlier for all readers. Suggested reading level for this text: Grade 4-8
Inferences Worksheet 1 | RTF
Inferences Worksheet 1 | PDF
Inferences Worksheet 1 | Preview
Inferences Worksheet 1 | Answers
Inferences Worksheet 1 | Ereading Worksheet – Online Test

Inferences Worksheet 2 – Read the passages and answer inferential questions. Support answers with evidence from the text. Suggested reading level for this text: Grade 3-7
Inferences Worksheet 2 | RTF
Inferences Worksheet 2 | PDF
Inferences Worksheet 2 | Preview
Inferences Worksheet 2 | Answers
Inferences Worksheet 2 | Ereading Worksheet – Online Reading Test

Inferences Worksheet 3 – Here’s another inference worksheet to give your students that practice that they need. Read the passages, answer the questions, and support your answers with textual evidence.Suggested reading level for this text: Grade 4-8
Inferences Worksheet 3 | RTF
Inferences Worksheet 3 | PDF
Inferences Worksheet 3 | Preview
Inferences Worksheet 3 | Answers
Inferences Worksheet 3 | Ereading Worksheet – Online Test

Inferences Worksheet 4 – Here is another high-quality inference worksheet. Students read the passages, answer the inferential questions, and explain their answer by using text.Suggested reading level for this text: Grade 3-7
Inferences Worksheet 4 | RTF
Inferences Worksheet 4 | PDF
Inferences Worksheet 4 | Preview
Inferences Worksheet 4 | Answers
Inferences Worksheet 4 | Ereading Worksheet – Online Activity

Inferences Worksheet 5 – Why stop when you’re on a roll? Here is another inference worksheet to get those gears grinding. This one has four reading passages and ten problems. Suggested reading level for this text: Grade 3-7
Inferences Worksheet 5 | RTF
Inferences Worksheet 5 | PDF
Inferences Worksheet 5 | Preview
Inferences Worksheet 5 | Answers
Inferences Worksheet 5 | Ereading Worksheet – Online Test

Inferences Worksheet 6 – Many students have difficulty answering inferential questions. This worksheet has ten more practice problems to help students develop this critical reading skill. Suggested reading level for this text: Grade 4-8
Inferences Worksheet 6 RTF
Inferences Worksheet 6 PDF
Preview Inferences Worksheet 6 In Your Web Browser
View Answers

Inferences Worksheet 7 – “More inference worksheets!” your students cheer as you come marching through the door holding this inference worksheet. It looks like all of the others: it is double-sided and has ten problems. But this one is brand new. The joy spreads around the room contagiously. Suggested reading level for this text: Grade 4-8
Inferences Worksheet 7 RTF
Inferences Worksheet 7 PDF
Preview Inferences Worksheet 7 In Your Web Browser
View Answers

Inferences Worksheet 8 – It’s always nice to have choices. And in the spirit of having choices, I present this eighth inference worksheet. This one is also double-sided and contains ten inference questions. Suggested reading level for this text: Grade 3-7
Inferences Worksheet 8 RTF
Inferences Worksheet 8 PDF
Preview Inferences Worksheet 8 In Your Web Browser
View Answers

Inferences Worksheet 9 – What’s better than a ten problem inference worksheet? An eleven problem inference worksheet! That’s right. This worksheet has eleven inference problems. I couldn’t decide on which one to remove, and the passages are short enough that lucky number eleven fits. Suggested reading level for this text: Grade 4-8
Inferences Worksheet 9 RTF
Inferences Worksheet 9 PDF
Preview Inferences Worksheet 9 In Your Web Browser
View Answers

Inferences Worksheet 10 – Are you still looking for inference worksheets? Here is the tenth in a series. Wow, that’s a lot of inferences. I hope this will help students master inferences. Suggested reading level for this text: Grade 3-7
Inferences Worksheet 10 RTF
Inferences Worksheet 10 PDF
Preview Inferences Worksheet 10 In Your Web Browser
View Answers

Common Core State Standards Related to Inferences

CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.R.1 – Read closely to determine what the text says explicitly and to make logical inferences from it; cite specific textual evidence when writing or speaking to support conclusions drawn from the text.

Expand to View All Common Core State Standards Related to Inferences
ELA Standards: Literacy

CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.4.1 -Refer to details and examples in a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.

CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.5.1 -Quote accurately from a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.

CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.6.1 -Cite textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.

CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.7.1 -Cite several pieces of textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.

CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.8.1 -Cite the textual evidence that most strongly supports an analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.

CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.9-10.1 -Cite strong and thorough textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.

CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.11-12.1 – Cite strong and thorough textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text, including determining where the text leaves matters uncertain.

View Source
Common Core Lesson and Unit Plans
Understanding Common Core State Standards

Looking For More Reading Worksheets?
Story Structure Worksheets
Fact and Opinion Worksheets
All Reading Worksheets

Still looking for something? Search here.

284 Comments

1. Ms. Melai

/  February 15, 2017

Your work is very helpful. Thanks a lot!

2. Chris

/  January 15, 2017

Thank you for this.
    My students are really struggling with this topic and it has been diffult finding suitable text for them to practice.
    I tried classic literature (A Christmas Carol”
    )…. it was a nightmare! They just couldn’t see past the literal text at all.
    These passages should ease their transition into further literary analysis.

3. Warren Roma

/  December 13, 2016

These are excellent! Thank you so much for the time and effort you put into making these, and most of all, thanks for making it available for free! Keep up the great work!

4. alma ubaldo

/  December 1, 2016

Thank you very much for sharing.. Keep it up! God bless you more with your good heart..

5. Sara

/  November 29, 2016

Thank you so much for the helpful worksheets and ideas. I’m preparing for an observation and am teaching inference in small group. I’m not only nervous but new to the grade level as well. Thank you:)

6. karen Booth

/  November 28, 2016

Brilliant thanks!

7. Grateful Teacher

/  November 13, 2016

Thank you so much for these valuable resources! You have saved me so much time! Well done! 🙂

8. Julie Vastano

/  November 2, 2016

Your site is the first place I always go to, and usually the last when I am lesson planning. Thank you so much for all your hard work.

Julie
    Brooklyn, N.Y.

9. Erika Argueta

/  November 1, 2016

Thank you so much for sharing this!!!

10. Enid Tomasiyo

/  September 29, 2016

Downloading is so complicating that I can’t even do it. Can’t you make it a simpler process with easy steps to follow? This is too complicating. HELP!!!

• What’s complicated about it? Just click the links, or right click the links and select “save file as”. You can do it! Best wishes!

11. Haley Wiedenhoeft

/  September 19, 2016

These are great! Thank you so much for making them free as well. I was wondering if you had an more that were ereading inference worksheets instead of ones you can print out? All my students have computers so it would make it very accessible if there was one I could use for practice and then one for an actual quiz.
    Thank you!

• Making distractors for these worksheets is quite challenging, but I intend to make some soon. Best wishes!

12. Doris Torigoe

/  September 4, 2016

I also tutor ESL students and these worksheets are very helpful because they are short, and give more than one clue to come up with a conclusion. Thank you.

13. ShahK

/  June 13, 2016

Any suggestions for those of us who teach ninth graders? I find that students’ inability to adequately analyze a passage stems from their inability to make inferences. With effective practice comes experience and confidence. Any suggestion you could give would be greatly appreciated.

14. Batata

/  May 27, 2016

Worst site ever! Just kidding it saved me so much time!!!! Thanks Mr. Morton.

15. James

/  May 18, 2016

Thanks for these excellent worksheets. I appreciate the time and effort you’ve made in preparing these. THe inferences are sufficiently subtle for this age group and the passages are mature and relevant to this age. And it’s also significant that they’re free.

16. Deb

/  April 19, 2016

These inference sheets are pretty awesome….wish I had found this website earlier. Thank you so much!

17. Janice Usha

/  April 18, 2016

A splendid sharing of worksheets and exercises!

18. Kimberly

/  March 4, 2016

A life saver for a homeschooling mom, thank you!

19. AFanning

/  February 17, 2016

I see the value of these worksheets as a parent however when my 9 year old son came home with these i
    I did think some of the subject matter was too mature for the age group it deems appropriate. Maybe a range of 4th to 8th grade is a little far of a stretch, that’s quite a difference in maturity!

20. Kevin Hui

/  January 23, 2016

Extraordinarily useful resource! Thank you so much!

21. Tyra

/  January 11, 2016

Brilliant resources, just what I was looking for . Thank you for sharing .

22. Elizabeth

/  January 4, 2016

Very glad to have found this wealth of resources. Thank you for sharing so generously!

23. Yvonne Boxall

/  November 17, 2015

Thank you so much. These worksheets have been so helpful. 🙂

24. Joanna Craigie

/  November 12, 2015

An excellent resource, thank you so much.

25. charlene neal

/  October 19, 2015

wonderful resource. what a help when I need data for IEP Goals!

26. Deonna

/  October 15, 2015

Do you have any inferences worksheets with informative text?

27. ALi-Boo

/  October 13, 2015

What UK age are these aimed at please?

28. Pagapz

/  September 15, 2015

Sir, thank you for your hardwork. It may not pay you off but you helped other people enhance their learning. You are a gift, sir. Thank you.

Also, can I get some parts of the sentences you made? I can’t think of something else.

29. lorie ann g reyes

/  September 9, 2015

thanks so much, your worksheets are of big help to me and my daughter. Kudos!!

30. Chongkon

/  August 29, 2015

Thanks for Inference Worksheets. They’re nice worksheets!

31. Alicia

/  August 29, 2015

I just want to say you are a true superhero in terms of dedication and contribution to English education and intelligence enlightening. I have been learning English for decades, beginning with memorising a tiny and scraped dictionary found in a pile of old book store forty years ago in a remote small Asian city. I have been puzzled and confounded numerously whenever I come across inferences in reading comprehensions. Your worksheet and the whole website saved me. I just want to send a small song to you to say a huge Thank you.
    The sun rises,
    Shed light on me,
    And send warmth on you.
    Holding an empty plate and wondering,
    Where is my breakfast for tomorrow?
    Oh, please, let me help you,
    Just like help myself.
    This world will become even more beautiful.

32. Kobie

/  August 18, 2015

I have but one word to describe your website: ‘Game-changer’.

33. Deyja

/  August 13, 2015

Thank you for these worksheets!

Chanced upon your site, and while they are unrelated to how we teach inference for History in Singapore, I think they are good for scaffolding students (:

34. Kathy Miletich

/  July 30, 2015

I have been looking for exactly what you produce. Thank you so much for making this most excellent resource available for us time-strapped people. Well done you!

35. Hui Meng

/  June 25, 2015

Thank you for the Inferences Worksheets.
    They are really well thought through and great for getting pupils to support their inferences with evidence from the text.

36. Hira Irfan

/  June 21, 2015

Thank u sooooo much Mr. Morton for sharing such wonderful resource. N its totally free, user friendly and time saving. please dont pay attention to any negative comments, just keep this thing in mind that u r being a great help to many students, teachers and parents. I will keep you in my prayer. May God always shower his blessings upon u. Ameen 🙂

37. Rachel

/  June 4, 2015

These are great – thank you!!

38. sarah

/  May 10, 2015

Thank you for these wonderful inference worksheets. I have not used your exact texts or layouts; but change names/spellings/vocab to suit my UK primary school pupils (eg, they wouldn’t know what a ‘washroom’ was). I agree that not all themes are suitable for younger kids; but am happy to have your hard work to amend as appropriate, rather than starting from scratch. You have saved me a lot of time – most grateful.

39. Cheryl Huggins

/  May 9, 2015

I think these worksheets are wonderful! Quite frankly, all of you who are putting her down need to shut up. At least she is making an effort to help others. What are you all doing for the world? Sitting around spewing negativity at someone you will never even meet? Hiding behind the computer while doing so? You are the ones who are rather pathetic.

40. Sunni Huff

/  April 28, 2015

Thank you so much for your generosity and your dedication to the world of education. I apologize for the rudeness of the online world, and hope that you are as thick-skinned as you seem in your replies.
    The teachers at my school have rejoiced in finding your materials as we are supplementing our curriculum with them. You have saved us so much time and energy- time better spent on our students and our families.
    Thank you again Mr. Morton!
    Sincerely,
    Mrs. Huff

41. Jan Francis

/  April 28, 2015

Superb, many thanks! Please don’t be put off by the negative comments from some. You have saved me hours of work!!!! And for free. I would like some of your ‘groaners’ to do the same instead of throwing insults. I love the fact that these can be edited also. Many, many thanks, and well done to you for your generosity.

42. hkgrandma

/  April 27, 2015

Thank you very much for providing this free resource of Inferencing Worksheets. You have saved me hours of time.

To the complainers on this site – what’s wrong with you people? Are you incapable of making your own corrections and using your own judgement? You come to this site for a freebie and then just complain about it.

It’s not Mr Morton’s fault if a teacher uses age inappropriate material in his or her class.

I tutor ESL to all ages and have edited and/or simplified the content myself to make it appropriate for the assorted ages I teach. In particular I “translated” the Americanisms and slang, as British English is the norm in Hong Kong.

Had I tried to write passages such as these myself they would have taken me hours to do and Mr Morton has saved me a lot of time and effort by writing them for me.

Thank you, Mr Morton.

PS- if you like I could email you my corrections and editing for your reference.

• I happily accept all corrections.
      I even apply them sometimes.

😀

Thank you for visiting and defending the material.

Best wishes!

43. Sharon Stone

/  March 27, 2015

Love this site, thank you so much.

44. Angela Adams

/  February 11, 2015

Great website!!! I appreciate all of your hard work and that you shared your creations with others!

45. Darlene Flanagan

/  January 22, 2015

I just spend over an hour searching for inferences on the internet that are more challenging than the easy ones I have. It was a nightmare (gotta sign up, gotta create an account first, etc.) Yours is the first site that had more challenging content, for free and easy to download and print. Thanks!!!!

46. riziriz06

/  January 12, 2015

this website really helped me a lot with my action research study. i am a teacher in high school but this really helped me in finding references for my research. i am looking forward for the comparing and contrasting worksheets and causes and effects worksheet. 🙂

47. Mary

/  January 11, 2015

what’s with the inappropriate questions on test 2? “ex-lovers”? and getting in a fight??? come on… smh

48. An

/  January 4, 2015

I think this website and the worksheets are excellent. It is very difficult to find worksheets that are applicable to 7th and 8th grade level. Great job Mr Morton and thank you.

49. Rambling with my HUMA

/  December 15, 2014

Well, I finally figured out who is to blame for all my unhappiness in life. IT’S YOU !!!
    How dare you NOT come to my school and read aloud to me everything that you have written, edit it according to my personal preference and cater to my every whim?!?!!?!? Why did you NOT include a twenty-one-gun salute in your writing?!?! Are you unpatriotic!?!? And WHY do I have to sit here and b(rag) about grammar, as if that makes me so special a person?? Why, they ought to be giving me awards for being the top grammarian in the nation!!

But seriously, Mr. Morton, I have great appreciation for someone who is selfless enough to offer a free resource to others for use in the classroom. Any grammar errors simply become another opportunity for my 4th graders to display their command of the English language. AND, like the very few level-headed people who have responded, I am capable of figuring out what to give my students to read on my own. Shame on those who simply printed off your material, sans review, and gave it to their classes to work on. Seems like much of their anger is a reaction to being embarrassed by their lack of preparedness. You keep up the good work!

• I thought that you were being serious at first.
      I wasn’t shocked.

I’m happy that you were joking.
      Thanks for visiting.

50. Daniel Shaw

/  December 11, 2014

I’m surprised by the frequent condescending and harsh remarks on this page. I find no reason to belittle others who have made minor mistakes (“infractions” such as spelling and punctuation hardly justify such venom) . But rather than enter the fray, I wanted to post to simply say “thanks” for sharing these resources free of charge. It’s very much appreciated.